Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Who I Am, Who I Want To Be...


I've never really liked Batman. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Batman stories and movies, but I've never really liked Batman himself. I think he's a selfish bastard, actually. I like characters in the Batman family, like Nightwing, the Tim Drake Robin, Barbara Gordon (who was Batgirl, but actually was much more awesome as Oracle, which happened after the Joker shot her and paralyzed her), and even a couple villains, like the Joker and Poison Ivy.

Why am I talking about Batman? Well, when I ask people why they like Batman, many say that it's because, with enough money, they could actually BE Batman. 

Now, philosophically, which superhero am I the most like? Well, I would have to say this guy:



Now, why would I say I'm like Spiderman? Do I think that with great power comes great responsibility? Well, that's a great motto, but that's not where I'm similar to Spiderman. Nope, it's guilt.

Spiderman is completely motivated by guilt. His Uncle Ben was killed by a burglar that Spiderman could have stopped, had he cared to lift a finger. That one moment influences every single decision that Spiderman makes. 

Where do I come in? I tend to feel a lot of guilt. The clearest memories I have of my childhood are associated with guilt. So I'm Spiderman, just without the cool powers and constant quips.

So who would I want to be? The comic book character I would most want to be like is this guy:



His name is Saint Walker and he's a Blue Lantern. You may have heard of Green Lantern. Green Lantern is part of the Green Lantern Corps, kind of a universe-spanning police force. The Green Lanterns wear rings powered by willpower. Turns out there are Lanterns of all the colors of the rainbow: Red is powered by Rage, Orange by Greed, Yellow by Fear, Green by Will, Blue by Hope, Indigo by Compassion, and Violet by Love.

Why would I want to be a Blue Lantern? I need to let myself hope more. The Blue Lanterns greet every difficulty by saying, "All will be well." I would love to let myself have that kind of faith. I'm too much of a worry wart.

Maybe someday I can quit being Spiderman and start being the Blue Lantern I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment